Use of radio frequency-based staff and patient tags supports generation of interaction logs, immediately upon diagnosis of contagious disease or chemical exposure
SAN DIEGO – October 22, 2014 – Awarepoint Corporation, the largest real-time location system (RTLS) provider dedicated exclusively to healthcare, today announced it will present a webinar entitled Using Real-time Location System technology to track infection exposure on Thursday, October 30th, 2014. The live, 30-minute webinar will help attendees understand the instrumental role that RTLS plays in tracking infection exposure through the use of wearable, radio frequency-based tags that track the location and movement of patients and staff across the healthcare organization.
Awarepoint presenters include:
- Merrie Wallace, MN, RN, Chief Nursing Officer
- Dennis O’Leary, MD, Chief Medical Officer and former president of The Joint Commission
- Cory Wagner, Director of Product Management
Historic methods of identifying potential exposure to infected patients prior to their diagnosis relied on substantial manual, and often incomplete, analysis of staff schedules, assignments of ancillary staff [housekeeping, laboratory techs, Electrocardiography (ECG) techs, etc.] to treatment areas and patient logs. Additionally, electronic medical records (EMRs) only capture 20 percent of the staff that interact with a patient throughout the course of their stay – the remaining 80 percent includes “casual encounters” that are not documented (e.g., pastoral care or food service).
Awarepoint’s RTLS solution provides organizations with confidence that accurate and complete potential exposure lists can be rapidly generated and that monitoring and treatment are properly targeted. Once a patient infection is confirmed, all staff and patients that were located in the proximity of that patient are identified in a few seconds. Staff and patients gain a greater sense of security in knowing that the organization will be able to positively identify those at risk for contracting viruses and other infections, based on interaction logs from the RTLS solution. Immediately upon confirmation of culture results and/or other testing, organizations are able to proactively analyze interaction data and initiate their mitigation strategy.
“One of the understated advantages of RTLS is its ability to create audit trails,” said Dennis O’Leary, MD, Chief Medical Officer of Awarepoint. “The epidemiologic importance of this capability is very significant, particularly in light of the recent Ebola virus detection in the United States, as well as the constant risks of initially undetected Tuberculosis, Enterovirus and other infectious diseases. If a patient admitted to the hospital is later found to have a serious contagious disease, the automatic RTLS audit trail is able to turn an almost impossible task into a very simple exercise.”
Awarepoint’s aware360°Suite automates and streamlines asset management; ED and OR care; capacity management; patient flow; caregiver coordination; quality and regulatory compliance; and patient and staff satisfaction. The suite spans the entire hospital enterprise, leveraging tag location and movement to track, report on and proactively improve asset, staff and patient workflows. Extensive reporting supports the analysis of timing, duration and frequency of care that patients receive.
Awarepoint delivers the healthcare industry's only cloud-based, Real-time Location System (RTLS) on a single platform of integrated software, technology and managed services. The company delivers rapid-time-to-impact implementations, with room- and bay-level accuracy and guaranteed interaction detection. Awarepoint’s solution addresses all requirements associated with delivering RTLS applications for use in dynamic, technologically and operationally challenging environments. Awarepoint's experience and solutions power the largest healthcare RTLS deployments in the world. For more information, visit www.awarepoint.com.
Dodge Communications for Awarepoint